Friday, July 27, 2012

Granna

Helen Pauline Revord
February 25, 1944 - June 3, 2012

I called her Granna.  She was quite a woman and a great Grandmother!   

It's taken this long to write about her life because it's taken this long to put my thoughts in order and to gather the pictures that I have of her and scan them in my computer.  
 
And, with that, my story begins.
 
Saturday June 2, 2012 -  I got the phone call that Granna wasn't doing well and if we wanted to say goodbye to her in person, we needed to get there soon.  I called Ron who was at work on base and told him the news.  He didn't even question it.  He got the next few days off, hurried home, and we left.  We picked up my Aunt Kris on the way and began the 12 hour car ride to Idaho Falls at 2:00pm.  We had said a prayer before we left that we would get there in time to say goodbye.  I felt a peace that we would and that comforted me.  

We had to make a few stops to get gas and food and to stretch our legs.  One place we stopped at was a gas station, restaurant, gift museum, and trout aquarium all in one.  We had seen the billboards for St. Regis Travel Center for miles and decided that it would be a good place to take a break.  The billboard advertised they had huckleberry milkshakes and Ron wanted to try one.  

Image is from the website
It was so good that we decided we would stop there on the way home too.

After a few more stops for fuel we made it to Aunt Robins house around 2:30am Sunday June 3, 2012.  I sat next to Granna for hours.  There were other family members who had come as well and we all sat around Granna and visited.  It was nice.  Granna knew we were there even though she wasn't awake.  She would never wake.  
 
Sunday June 3, 2012 -  Ron and I had gotten up at 5:00am on Saturday morning to get Ron off to work and by 9:00am Sunday morning we were tired.  We left to get a hotel room.  We ended up staying at a Best Western with a really good family emergency rate.  The only thing was that we couldn't check in until 11:00am.  We tried to sleep in the car, but the weather was so nice and warm that we just couldn't so we went and got breakfast and came back to the hotel and walked along the lake that was right in front of the hotel.  
 
There were lots of Canadian Geese that were people friendly.  It was so beautiful outside.  It was sunny and warm.   
 
 
Across the lake stood the Idaho Falls Temple.  That sight comforted me a lot.
 

 
 Ron went to get the keys at 11:00am and that's when I got the call that we needed to get there.  We rushed there - about a three minute drive.  Granna recovered, but we stayed by her side until about 1:00pm anyways, just to make sure.  I think she was holding out for the last few people to arrive.  

We went to the hotel at 1:00 to try to get a small nap in.  It had been 32 hours since we had any sleep.  I was surprised I was functioning.  Ron went right to sleep, but my phone kept ringing.  I talked to my sister and my dad and updated them on the situation.  When I got off the phone with my dad something was nagging me to get up and go back to Granna.  Just then I got the phone call that we needed to get there.  Four minutes later, we arrived and I ran into the room in time to see her take her last breath. 

My Granna passed away peacefully in her sleep at 2:50pm on Sunday June 3, 2012. 

This picture is a little blurry, but I love it.

We finally got to bed at 8:00pm and woke up early, ate breakfast, and left to embark on the 12 hour drive back home.  We took our time going back home.  Ron drove the entire way.  I loved him for that.  The drive home allowed me to reflect on my Granna and the memories that I have of her.  
 
On the way home we stopped off at St. Regis again.  
They have an ever expanding menu.
Fresh Huckleberry Pie.  This was DELISH! 

~~~

Here are a few insights to my Granna:

 She loved Gramps so much!  I know that she was ready to leave this world to be with him again.  I know that he was waiting for her on the other side of the veil.  He was probably holding the door open like a gentleman and scoffing at the same time, "Hurry up, Woman!  I got burgers on the grill."  I miss him too.  

Here is a love note hand written from Gramps to Granna:
 
I miss their love for each other.  Through their love I learned that everyone makes mistakes, but forgiveness is the best cure for any marriage.

I miss them both dearly, but I know that they are finally together.

 She was a traditional Grandmother and a not-so-traditional Grandmother.  I loved that about her.
 

She loved to watch her grandchildren color.  

She had this crazy streak in her that made her an awesome Granna.  Like this Halloween costume.  How many Grandmothers do you know who dressed like this?

She loved one-on-one time with all of her Grandchildren.  We often spent the night over there.  My Gramps would ALWAYS cook us blueberry pancakes every morning.  It was a tradition that I want to pass on to our children if are blessed to have any.  

She also loved to torture us by hanging us upside down and tickling us.  Don't I look happy?
 
 Family picture taken at my baby shower.  Yes, that cute little baby is me.  

Miranda, Alex, Desirae, Granna, and me at my Gramps funeral.

"The White Christmas Tree" I grew up with.
Me and the tree.
All of the Grandchildren (at the time) in front of the Christmas tree.  I love all of her Christmas decorations! 
Granna when she graduated.  Wasn't she a beautiful lady?
 
Granna with her three daughters.

And, now, to leave you with my favorite picture of Granna.  
May you Rest In Peace, Granna.  
I miss you tons.  
I'll miss decorating Christmas cookies (and Valentine's Day cookies).
I 'll always miss the white Christmas Tree.
I'll miss staying the night and waking up to blueberry pancakes.
I'll miss one of your most used sayings: "You little stinker!"
I'll miss our Monday evenings together cooking and visiting.  My favorite was the pie themed night we did.  Ron and I made homemade pot pie for dinner with apple pie for dessert.
I'll cherish my diamond earrings you bought every granddaughter for her 16th birthday.
I'll cherish Baba's carousel clock you passed on to me before you moved to Idaho.  
I'll cherish my quilt.  It sits on the back of my couch.  
I love you and I know that I will see you again someday.

 
 





 





2 comments:

miranda said...

Where did u get all these pictures and the letter from gramps? Well written. I miss her.

The Krotzers said...

Granna gave me these pictures before she moved to Idaho the first time. When she lived in Parkland, Ron and I would go over there every Monday and cook her dinner, dessert, and some ready-to-eat food in the refrigerator for the week. Some nights we would watch TV with her, some nights we would help her clean and organize something she wanted help with. One of those nights we organized her pictures and she gave me these ones. I was so excited. The originals are kept in a secret place as to keep them safe! The letter from Gramps was with her pictures and she actually wanted me to have it because she knew I would keep it safe.