Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Year In Review

Since today is January 1st, 2011 my first post of the new year is going to be "2010 Year In Review".  First up We bought our first house on 1 1/4 acres in April and everyday since then we have been remodeling, painting, planning a remodel, thinking about remodeling, thinking about painting, projects, projects, and more projects.  Just to name a few that we have accomplished in 2010: 
1) Painting the inside of the house (we haven't finished the ceiling or the guest bedroom, or all of the trim).
2) Painting the outside of the house.
3) Running water to the garage and behind the garage (for our garden) and replacing the water lines for the house (the roots of some of the trees were tearing the water lines up).
4) Buying a new washing machine & dryer, refrigerator, and freezer (for the garage) and having them paid off!
5) Planting our very own first garden for us!  It consisted of carrots, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, jalapenos, and anaheim peppers.  We also tried to grow cat nip and parsley but they didn't do well and we didn't try hard with them because we moved in the house in May and it was a little late to start those.  I might want to mention that we had 21 tomato plants!  We only bought a few but Jean called us one day and asked if we knew anybody that wanted her extra tomato plants and we said no.  The next day we came home to find them on our door step.... so we planted 21 tomato plants but sadly we didn't get to harvest many of them due to late blight.  It killed our tomato plants in a matter of days. 
6) We also finished putting trim around our windows.  The previous owner had just put in new windows but didn't trim the windows at all.  Thanks to Ross we were able to get that project done in 2 days!  And our windows look BEAUTIFUL!

2010 was a good year for Ron at work.  He is still working full time at Tacoma General Hospital.  He spends most of his days in the ER.  He talks to people when they get admitted in the hospital and finds out their prescriptions, verifies them and turns them into the Pharmacy so they can continue taking them while admitted.  He also helps to dispense drugs to the Trauma patients that come into the ER when needed. 

I continued to work at Kapowsin Elementary School.  I've gotten over the fact that I work for the school district that I graduated from.  It's not so weird anymore.  I LOVE the time off that I get.  We wouldn't have gotten half as much done if I didn't have the summer off.  I loved having 2 1/2 months off and still getting a pay check.  I also love the fact that Bethel School District provides college classes for us to take for free!  And if we take so many classes we get raises.  Even better!  I have been taking as many classes as I can handle.  Gotta love it!

We only took 1 trip this year.  We went to Ocean Shores over the 4th of July holiday.  Mom and Tom have some property there and were staying in their motor home.  We went there with Ross and Desirae.  It was a lot of fun!  We ate so much good food and despite Rons injury to his shoulder the 4th is amazing on the beach of Ocean Shores! 

Ron and I celebrated out 2nd wedding anniversary on December 30, 2010.  We didn't go anywhere on vacation, we didn't go out to eat and we didn't buy each other gifts this year.  Ron had to work the day before, the day of and the day after so we just kept it small.  I started dinner with an appetizer.  It was homemade bread and dipping sauce.  It was so good and the bread was still warm.  It was perfect timing that as soon as dinner was done cooking the power went out.  We ended up finishing our appetizer and eating the dinner by candlelight.  How romantic!  And the fact that we didn't have it planned to be a candlelight dinner was perfect timing!  For dinner we had spaghetti with homemade garlic bread and a homemade cherry pie for dessert.  Once the power came back on like an hour later, we watched Happy Gilmore.  It was a small anniversary but I loved it!  Besides going out to eat would have resulted in not eating since Spanaway, Graham, and South Hill all lost power at the same time!  We were lucky to stay simple!

That is our 2010 year in review.  It was a great year for Ron and I and I can't wait to see what 2011 will bring!

No comments: